Saturday, December 22, 2007

thoughts...on adoption

I feel like Eric and I are on the end of this road, waiting for God to draw the bridge... however that may look. There are so many things that feel up in the air and uncertain. And at this point, everything is a wait!
I have been going to a china forum which has been very interesting. I look and read more than respond because that's just how I operate! Today, I read a link from a blog written by an adoptee who's adopted a child/children herself. It was really good to read her thoughts and it really made me think. I don't know if the non-adoptive world has been made aware of a dutch diplomat and his wife that gave up their adopted daughter after 7 years after having 2 kids of their own. It's still speculation as to the real reason, but this blog that I read just stated that a lot of time adoptive parents have this idea of how their adopted child should behave. We set standards that they may or may not be able to live up to. I have a fiesty co-worker who has a fiesty child. When she tells me stories I just laugh and have asked, "boy! I wonder where he gets THAT from!?" But I think we forget to give that grace to the children we adopt. I never really thought about this, but just because I'll be bringing my little girl home with us from China, does not believe that the things that she was given genetically will stay there! I have gotten the question that you don't know if the child you adopt will be healthy. But we don't with our biological children. We should not give grace to our bio. children in areas of attitudes/behaviors that we aren't willing to give to the children we adopt. just my two cents. I know not all who read this understand the desire to adopt. Maybe you need to read Anne of Green Gables to understand the joy and adventure an orphan can bring into your life!
Other than this, I've been working. Two of us (the fiesty co-worker and myself) have been carrying a 4 person load the last two weeks~ before Christmas~ in a resort town~two weeks before Christmas! We passed delirious on Wednesday. On Friday, I called a customer regarding an item, only to hear Fiesty co-worker say, "thank you for calling____ this is____ how can I help you?" and I still sat there, phone to my ear for a good 2 seconds before we both realized that I had called OUR number. That's when I realized how thankful I was that it was my short friday and I would be heading home in 4 short hours to take a nap!

Karin

1 comment:

Brandi said...

Yeah for adoption! ha ha. I know you have a long wait ahead of you, but I pray that the time will fly by and you will learn all God has planned for you in this time of waiting. I also pray for a little girl who will be born halfway across the world who is to be yours. .may God now, be moving in the heart of the woman who will carry her. . may He call her to Himself that you may all be able to celebrate together in LIFE for eternity.

Love,
Brandi