Sunday, May 3, 2009

Reminiscing.


During the summers of 1999 and 2000, I lived on Mackinac Island. There's something about just hearing that name that causes this crazy nastalgia. The first summer I worked there, I worked at a Bakery. I lived upstairs with 14 other girls in a 4 bedroom/2 bath/tiny kitchen/no dining room/small living room apartment. That summer I met Carrie who was also my "house mom". Carrie, my roommate Tammy(who grew up on a farm in a whole different world then me but was such a great roomate), and I hung out all the time. We worked together, hung out together. By the end of the summer, I don't think we thought we would ever want to see eachother again. But, a few months later, we were in touch again. I have been unable to contact Tammy for the last 7 years but Carrie is still one of my favorite people. She is the one I call when random things happen. She is very busy, working different hours than me, so I usually leave rambling messages on her voice mail. Not sure why. It's just what I do and so far, she still laughs!
Summer 2000 was good too. I got out more, trying hard not to gain the 15 lbs I gained the summer before (I lost it all on a few weeks once I was away from the cinnamon rolls that were as big as my head), and really explored the island. I also worked at the coffee shop as well as the bakery. This was when I fell in love with coffee shops and planted that seed of hope to one day have my own.
With all the stress of life these last few years, I think my memories are fading sometimes... but not when I think about these summers. I remember so many moments, the people, the smells, the way it felt to walk to the post office and have a bunch of people say hi and know who I was. I remember the sound of the water, the breeze on my face. Exploring the Island on walks. Mission Point resort where we used to sit by the fireplaces after work and play cards. I am so thankful for this experience, for the memories. I hope that I can take my kids there someday and although they will look at the Island through different eyes, I hope that they will be able to grasp the beauty, awe and wonder of that place.

2 comments:

Jackie Sue said...

http://thepipers.wordpress.com/2009/05/09/do-you-want-to-die-this-mothers-day/
Karin, I hope you had a wonderful mother's day. I read this blog and thought of you...don't read it if you don't want to...it's about loss...take care.

China Dreams said...

Hi Karin,

I've always wanted to go there, and I'm sure that your kids will love it-especially the pedestrian way of life-and despite the black flies. I think that when you grow up hearing stories about a place from a parent that it becomes a magical place for you because you feel close to them when you're there. So even if their experience of the island turns out to be different, it will be special.

Hope all is well with you!

Ruby