and this is seriously bothering my dad! :) (love you, dad!)
Eric and I made the decision to not do the whole Santa thing with our kids. I know. I KNOW. This is very controversial but for us, we want the focus to be on the birth of Jesus. We will also teach our kids about who St. Nicholoas really was. I cut and pasted the following from the website: http://www.stnicholascenter.org
His wealthy parents, who raised him to be a devout Christian, died in an epidemic while Nicholas was still young. Obeying Jesus' words to "sell what you own and give the money to the poor," Nicholas used his whole inheritance to assist the needy, the sick, and the suffering. He dedicated his life to serving God and was made Bishop of Myra while still a young man. Bishop Nicholas became known throughout the land for his generosity to the those in need, his love for children, and his concern for sailors and ships.
I think it's a great idea to teach our kids to help others in need and we plan to take them shopping for toys for tots each year. I heard a lady on the radio whos kids use some of their own savings from the year to buy toys for kids. I am not sure if she adds to what they have, but her son gets a $100 to shop for boy toys and her daughter gets a $100 to shop for girls toys. They write notes on each toy and then take them to the donation center. Isn't that cool?!
So, what do you do in your house? and why?
5 comments:
I totally get it. I have issues with Santa too for the same reasons. Personally, I always found the whole "some strange guy watching you at night and sneaking in your house" is scary to me. LOL
I am a Santa girl. Can't wait to see the excitment on Burke's face or the tears from the scary guy at the mall! Sorry. That doesn't mean that I don't think it isn't VERY important to teach the real meaning of Christmas. To each there own...that's what makes the world go round.
Thanks for updating! I've been stalking your site for an update! Have a great weekend.
Alicia
Well Karin, you are correct...this is a controversial subject. We don't do Santa at our house, but like you guys, we do tell our children where/who the tradition came from. We decided before we had kids, or shortly after, that we would not tell our children anything that wasn't the truth...Santa, tooth fairy, easter bunny, etc. I just can't handle the thought of them figuring out at some point that we "lied" to them about Christmas and that could mean that Jesus is like Santa...not really real...I don't know that we are right...it is just how we decided to do it. Believe it or not, David and I just mentioned you and Eric at lunch today. We ran into someone who plays at y'alls 24hour house of prayer which brought up Eric and then you and how you are waiting for your daughter from China....I hope the holidays are good for you guys and that next year you will have a baby to tell all about Jesus to...Merry Christmas! love, js
What, Santa's not real??????!!!!!!!
Karin,
I agree with what you said and Jackie I completely agree with you about the "lying" to your kids and telling them that there is a Santa, Tooth Fairy, etc. I don't have kids yet and I am not sure when I will have them, but I had decided that I also wouldn't "lie" to them either. We do celebrate some of the Santa "things" at our house now, but it is just for fun, so if we continue with that when we do have kids, it will also just be for fun...they will understand that the focus is Jesus and helping others...not Santa. We will explain who St. Nicholas is to them and what an amazing man and example he should be to all of us. Karin...I also like the idea about letting the kids pick out some toys for tots...great idea. :o)
Post a Comment