Wednesday, January 14, 2009

I lost my best friend

Okay.. so not really but I have felt this way for the last week!
On Christmas Eve, Eric and I went to see Twi light. I was really bummed because I'd seen all those tweens on tv crying like babies and carrying on because of the vampire guy and I figured it'd be lame. First off, although I would never cry and carry on, Edward is one dreamy vampire! Second, I liked it so much that I went out and bought the book. I eventually read the entire saga (4 books and LOTS of pages) in about 1 1/2 weeks. This story was an easy read and like so many other people, I loved the characters. It ended well so it felt like a good break up. But a loss definately.
I do realize that some people may have beef with me reading books like this, but I really enjoyed escaping into the world of Forks.
I think the only other series that I felt this same way about is Anne of Green Gables. I still absolutely adore this story! I used to own most of the authors other writings but in a moment of crazy, I threw them out. I still have my hard cover books that my parents gave me for various Christmases. (And Dad, For my birthday, I would like the 2 movies for Anne of Green Gables. I've seen the first one many times but just learned there was a second one out there! This blog is so useful... I can even make requests for presents!)
So, can anyone suggest any good books or series? I need something to fill the void!

10 comments:

Stacey said...

We have some books series that my might be interested in reading. Let me check our library and get back to you. :o) I also LOVE Anne of Green Gables and I have seen all the movies.

Stacey said...

BTW...I often get sad when I get to the end of story, especially a series because I know that the end is coming and that after that, I will never know what comes next in all of their lives. (okay, I do realize they are books and that there is nothing that comes next but well you know....)

Alicia said...

My favorites are: A Fine Balance, Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, and A Thousand Splendid Suns. I am currently reading the Twilight series...I just can't focus though, wonder why!

Anonymous said...

My favorite series is Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series. It is excellent writing and one of those stories whose characters I can't get out of my head. It's LONG, and there are more books coming, so no disappointment for a few more years:) I also really like all the Chronicles of Narnia books even though they're really children's books. Another children's author that I just love is Roald Dahl. How silly to like children's books so much, but I do. Sarah

Jackie Sue said...

I just can't believe you can even compare the Twilight series to my beloved Anne of Green Gables...that is nearly a sacriledge! The second movie about Anne is the Anne of Avonlea movie and it is usually at Sams on dvd...there is even another one, but it does not follow the books AT ALL and was a huge disappointment. I can't recommend a series at the moment, but I did love "Reckless Faith" and "Same Kind of Different as Me" as great books and anything by Charles Martin or Denise Hildreth for fun reading. Let me know what you find to read. love, js

Anonymous said...

i can remember being in tears because my parents wouldn't let me stay up late enough to watch some part of the anne series. i thought i could not live never knowing what happened to her and gilbert! (little did i know that the rest of the world was buying something called a vcr that would allow me to see the movies any time i wanted. i thought if i didn't see it right then, i would lose it forever!)

have you ever read Little Women? i loved it almost as much as the anne books.

Anonymous said...

I mostly read medical journals since i get hundreds of them in the mail. But, here are some books I have read that I liked - The Kite Runner, The Glass Castle (Jeanette Walls), A Painted House (John Grisham), My Sister's Keeper.
Andrea C.

FinsUp said...

I felt the same way. I just wanted her to keep writing about their lives and what happens as time passes and so on.

Have you read the No.1 Ladies Detective Agency series by Alexander Smith? There are 8 or 9 of them, though much shorter than the Twilight books. They are set in Botswana and the characters are so likeable. He writes with a cadence that mimics the accent and you can hear it in your head. They are very sweet and engaging. Now I want to go to Botswana!

China Dreams said...

Karin,

My daughter has read all of the books and refused to see the movie because she said it couldn't possibly compare to the writings. I just saw clips but could definitely see why people would be hyped up about him, too. I read lots of paranormal romances and don't care if people think it's fluffy or lame-I spend my life in academia and need relief from the seriousness of all of that reading.

I love Green Gables, too. Many years ago we could get CBC on television and watched The Road to Avonlea every Sunday night. I haven't been able to get that on dvd, but my family did give me the three about Anne-made by the same producer. "The Road..." is a follow-up miniseries about Avonlea and all the people that Anne knew. Colleen Dewhurst was one of the actresses in the series, though a guest star. That is a situation where the television production and movies were just as good as the books!

Julie Weber said...

hey hope you are doing well. i too hated to see the end of these books. AND still haven't found anything to fill my need-for that intensity. my husband even read them. :)
i guess maybe i'll just keep plugging away on the nursery, hoping the cullens show up to help me finish.