Sunday, May 4, 2008

summer, summer, summer time. ah, summertime

Summers in Florida are so hot. You don't see very many people outside other than walking from their air conditioned car to their air conditioned house. But I remember loving summers in Michigan. Partly, because it was a few months where I wasn't forced to wear snowpants and moon boots. You southerners may not know what moon boots are, but I bet Sarah and Vicki and maybe even Carrie are remembering their favorite pair right now! Summers were awesome! I lived in the same house from the time I was 4 till I was 25 (I did live with my dad and step mom for 4 years in the middle and visited the house I am currently speaking of every other weekend)... ((okay... another side note... I didn't realize why Eric was always telling me to get to the point when telling a story and now that I blog, I now know! Rabbit trails! All the time! Just be glad I proof read and use the delete button frequently, or you'd never come back and visit.)) I remember playing pickle on the sidewalk. This was our version of Monkey in the middle involving baseball diamonds and a baseball. Basketball and baseball in the street~ which probably wasn't the smartest thing we did since we did it at the end of a semi-blind curve. oh, well. we all made it out alive. We spent 4th of July together with sparklers and the grown kids would light the cool firecrackers. I remeber picnics, staying out till the street lights came on, swimming in the kiddie pool, riding my bike, picking raspberries at the neighbors, writing on the sidewalk (and getting in trouble) with crab apples.
ah, memories.
And to think this post started because I saw a kid playing basketball in the street~ rabbit trail like no other, my friend!
:)

1 comment:

Jackie Sue said...

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by my place. I got caught up on your most recent posts,but I am confused....didn't ya'll move???? I thought you moved for some reason, but I see that you are still in FL weathering the heat and the wildfires with us...too sad. I read your post about Micah...it was just precious. I think you do exactly what you are doing...you grieve...not like those who have no hope, but like one with the hope of Heaven who misses their baby like crazy. Grief is an uncontrollable emotion...just comes in waves and we often don't know what to do with it. The enemy tells us the lie that we should be "over" it by now and then we feel guilty about being sad. It is ok to grieve and you are right...loss is such a defining moment...as is our salvation...our wedding...college...etc. It is just one of the things that defines you, but unlike any other. You are doing a good job of living life, Karin...Jesus is proud of you.